Improving My Technology Skills

I am learning a new skill every week and expanding my technology knowledge.  Last week I started a Twitter account and tweeted.  I began following a number of administrators, teachers, and politicians.  Every time they had something important to say, I got to read it.  The messages were so short that I really wasn't very impressed as I began to explore this curious tool.  Tweets popping up on my phone was a bit annoying to begin with, but then, as I read through them daily, I began to see their importance.  One week later, I find myself eagerly reading what others have to say, though I'm still not much of a tweeter myself.
Now, I'm on to a new skill, blogging.  I've never blogged before, but it is much more attractive to me that when I began Twitter.  Blogging has some meat and potatoes to it.  Topic sentences and supporting details.  As many paragraphs as one would care to write.  Reading blogs is like reading different types of essays.  Some are how descriptive, some are narrative, some are expository, and some are persuasive.  As an old English teacher, the variety of subjects and presentation of prose appealed to me.  I enjoyed reading the administrators' blogs listed in our lesson.  I really enjoyed Michael Smith's blog.  He does seem to blog more on the principal's role outside of school than the educational aspect, but he is very entertaining and I find myself in agreement with most of what he says.
I looked ahead and next week I have to do a podcast.  More new stuff for me and the scariest yet.  While I'm struggling with blogging, which is really just a new way to present what you write, in the back of my mind, I'm wondering how in the world I'm going to get through podcasting.
Tweeting, blogging, podcasting.  I never thought I'd be doing any of those things.  I'm trying to figure them out though, and I'm willing to do anything that will make me a better educator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EDU5506EA SP19 Action Plan